The Endometriosis Foundation of America (EFA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to combating endometriosis, a debilitating reproductive disease that affects one in ten women of childbearing age in the United States. Founded by Tamer Seckin, MD and Padma Lakshmi, the EFA’s initiatives support its mission by focusing on advocacy, funding targeted research, educating medical professionals, and increasing disease awareness among the general public.
The EFA is seeking a New York City based intern for The ENdometriosis: Promoting Outreach and Wide Recognition (ENPOWR) Project for a one or two semester position. The intern will have the unique opportunity to help bring The ENPOWR Project to scale and assist in the national launch of the Endo EduKit. The internship will include tasks ranging from program implementation through community outreach, data collection and initial analysis, health education presentations in the field, as well as programmatic and general administrative support. There are also opportunities to participate in strategizing on a broader scope, by participating in a range of EFA projects depending on the intern’s interests. The intern will engage with EFA personnel at all levels, patients, educators, health care providers, and other stakeholders. This is an excellent opportunity to gain practical public health experience, to help shape an evolving program, and to address the critical unmet need related to endometriosis awareness.
The ideal intern must be passionate about reproductive and/or women’s health issues, have an ability to work well with adolescent populations, as well as have an “all hands on deck” attitude. The intern will be required to collaborate virtually and to travel throughout NYC as needed.
- Students actively pursuing an MPH, MEd, MSW, or comparable
- Dynamic speaker, especially when speaking about reproductive health topics
- Self-starter and forward thinker
- Ability to engage and motivate adolescents, especially high school level teens
- Ability to work independently, synthesize medical information, and convey technical information to a range of audiences
- Highly proficient Microsoft Office skills
- Experience with SPSS preferred
- Fluency in another language desired but not required
- Cover letter
Please send applications to: [email protected] Write “Intern Application – Fall 2016” in the subject line